Friday, September 10, 2010

Cruise Ships

A few years ago we visited Venice, Italy.  During my morning walk, I saw the most atrocious thing – a cruise ship in the harbor.  This cruise ship dwarfed this dainty, quaint city.  It towered above the beautiful street with the laundry hanging on the clothes lines, zig zagging inbetween the buildings. It ruined the moment.   I thought it was so sad.  And I couldn't even think about the thongs of people descending upon the city. 

So now we are on a cruise.  Starting in Barcelona, we are traveling around part of the Mediterranean. Was I conflicted about this trip?  Yes I was.  But so many people have told us how much they love cruising and you don’t have to continually pack and unpack, that we decided to try it. 

 

We have been to Tunisia, Malta and today we stopped in Sicily.  My favorite part is sitting on our balcony watching the ocean go by,  I love the water and I don’t think I will ever grow tired of it – the sound, the smell, the view.  I did take a photo in Sicily – not of our ship – to show how ugly a cruise ship can make a city look:

 blog1M

But on the other hand, it is hard to find views like these, if you were on the shore.  These photos are just a couple of many that I took  from our balcony.

blog4M

                                          Malta

blog2M

                                         Messina, Sicily

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.