Thursday, November 11, 2010

Quilting Funk

I am quilted out.  Sometimes this happens after I have been working on quilts that require a lot of brain power.  It makes me nervous that I may never want to quilt again.  What would I do with all of that fabric that I have accumulated?

So I decided to work on a fun and quick project.  Pillowcases.  I started making pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer back in 2003.  Cindy Kerr lives locally and one of the members from her church belongs to our guild.  I was the Chairperson of our quilt guild's Community Outreach program and chose to support this project.  The goal was, and still is, to make pillowcases for children at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia  undergoing cancer treatment. It started when her son was diagnosed with cancer.

I scheduled a visit by Cindy and her son Ryan, to kick off the project.  Ryan, who was suffering from cancer and had already lost his leg, was engaging and so charming.   He sat on the stage and chatted with 100 women with grace and ease.  We were so lucky to meet him.  And in case you were wondering about the red canvas sneakers in the logo, Ryan wore those to his prom.

You don't need a lot of fabric to make a pillowcase - 3/4yd for the body and 1/3yd for the cuff, and they are so easy.  Click on the purple underlined directions below for great instructions.  I love the "hot dog" method.  It encases the cuff seams.
So to try and get out of my funk, I made 3 pillowcases.  One for my 4 year old skateboarding fool of a grand nephew, one for his brother that loves airplanes and one for ConKerr Cancer. It won't be until tomorrow til I know if I want to do some quilting, but it felt good to do something for someone else.

2 comments:

  1. Whenever you do something positive it helps you get back to what you want to do. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an idea of what you can do with all of your fabric... it would look awfully nice next to my yarn! ; P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.