Tuesday, December 29, 2015

First Finish of the Season


Most quilters share their first finish of the year, but my year really begins when I am settled in Key West for the winter months. My first finish was started 2 years ago. I have spent the time since then, maybe not all of that time, trying to figure out if I wanted to add a border. If I bordered the quilt, did I want to add a traditional border or make it out of tiny pieces of fabric like the body. This was how I left it. The hot pink fabric did a nice job of containing it. I was motivated to finish it so I could share it with my students during my class at the American Quilt Society Show at the end of this February in Daytona. It measures 48"W x 38"L.
Some of you may have seen my first attempt at a traditional border.

The dark blue was just too heavy. I unstitched it on the drive down here.
I had to make a visit to the local quilt shop, The Seam Shoppe, at great personal sacrifice, to look for a border fabric. Actually, it's like a homecoming. I love the owner Cindy and her son, Nick. Not only is it a quilt shop, but they also do reupholstery and decorating. They do a lot of reupholstering for hotels, boat owners and homeowners. They do amazing work and sometimes with the oddest shapes.
Cindy helped pick this fabric for my border. I wasn't 100% convinced, but it seemed to be the only choice. After attaching
2 1/2" borders along the edges, I knew I needed to "curvalicious" it. (Pardon my self promoting.) Happiness!!

And here are some close ups.

I love the texture that all the little bits of the different fabrics provide. I've come up with a fun name for this new technique, Confetti Quilting. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. This is such an amazing work of art Cheryl, you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the border -- it is a tremendous improvement and I feel that curvaliciousing it made the fish look like it is swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Confetti quilting with a curvalicious border = fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt. Love the name - but first Google confetti quilts - people are using that name for similar-but-different approaches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.