Friday, May 12, 2017

Stitchography Interview


Today, I'd like to welcome Patty Young.  Patty is amazingly multi talented and is certainly a great model for balancing being a self-employed artist and a Mom.

1.  Please introduce yourself and describe your areas of expertise.
Hello there!  My name is Patty Young.  I also go by Patty Prann Young in the publishing world.  I own MODKID, LLC which is a company that designs and sells high quality sewing patterns for girls, tweens and women's  clothing as well as accessories.  I am also a licensed fabric designer for Riley Blake Designs, and a published author with C&T Publishing.

2.  What is your background and how did you arrive at your current job(s)
I have a Bachelor of Fine Art degree in Photography with a minor in Graphic Design.  I worked as a designer-turned-Creative Director for a couple of marketing agencies for nearly 15 years, until one day I decided to quit my high stress job to raise my family and pursue my own creative endeavors.  Those creative endeavors led me to start drafting and sewing my own clothing for my little girls and a business was soon born.  I have been doing this now for 10 years and wouldn't change a thing!

3.  How many hours a week do you devote to your job?
I work while the kids are at school, so roughly 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and some days I will hop back on the computer after dinner time and work some more.  During high stress periods, like right before Quilt Market or when a fabric deadline is fast approaching, I will work nights, weekends and holidays.  So I'd say I work anywhere between 30 and 60 hours a wee, depending on what I have going on.

4.  Where do you physically work?
I have a full studio and office in our home's basement.

5.  What do you sell and how do you sell it?
I sell PDF and paper sewing patterns along with all of my books (I have 3 sewing boks and 2 coloring books) and a few miscellaneous products I've designed over the years, like jacquard ribbons and designer pins.  All sales are done on-line through my website www.modkidboutique.com or on Etsy at www.etsy.com/shop/modkid.
6.  What are you working on now?
I just turned in artwork for my 22nd fabric collection (!!!) and I am currently working on 3 different sewing patterns.  One of them will be released next week on Etsy and the other 2 are exclusive designs for Riley Blake that will be featured in their new video series, Imagine With Riley Blake.  I am also preparing demos for Quilt Market.  There's never a dull moment around the studio!

7.  What do you do when you are not working?
I love to spend time with my husband, Jon, and  my 2 daughters, Sophie and Sydney.  Jon and I are ethnic food and craft beer aficionados, so often  times you'll find us reviewing the latest restaurant or beer find.  Both of my daughters are competitive dancers and are members of their school's Dance Teams, so from December to  March you will find me  attending dance competitions throughout the state of Illinois.

8.  Perhaps an indelicate question, but people starting out wan to know - what are your income sources?

Message 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.