Sunday, June 28, 2009

What Is This Tool and Why Am I Hunting All Over For It?

Have you seen this kitchen gadget?

I have been looking high and low trying to find it. I knew it was some type of whisk. The first step was finding out what was it's actual name. After googling for a while, I discovered it was called a spiral whisk and it seemed the only manufacturer was Rosle.
Now where to find it. There were a few places where I could order it on-line, but couldn't I find it locally? Why pay for shipping? So, I went to Target. No luck. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have floor to ceiling walls of cooking gagdets. You would think I would find it there. No luck. I was heading to the King of Prussia Mall (to get eyeglasses). It used to be one the largest malls in America. Could I find it there in one of their kitchen stores? Before I went I decided to let my fingers do the walking. I searched the websites of Kitchen Kapers and Williams Sonoma. No luck.
In a desperate move, I decided to check Bloomingdale's website. I don't know why I tried their website. It's not a place where I frequently shop. But BINGO! There it was and at a much cheaper price than if I ordered it on-line.
So for a Friday night date, my husband and I headed out to the mall to get eyeglasses and my spiral whisk. After searching for and then finding the housewares department in Bloomingdales, I found the gagdet wall and all of their fancy whisks. And there it was - the spiral whisk. There was only one left. I grabbed it before someone else did! (Were ther other people like me searching out this cool tool?) I was a happy woman.
Now you may be wondering why I had to have this kitchen tool, since cooking really isn't my favorite thing to do. Here's the story:
I belong to a recentlt formed fiber art critique group. One of the women, Jan, is an avid surface designer and invited us over for a fabric dyeing day. I was introduced to the beauty of soy wax. It is used as a dye resist. The advantage of it over the wax that is traditionally used for batiks, is that it has a much lower melting temperature and therefore can be removed with hot water. So using that spiral whisk, soy wax and thickened dye - this was my resulting fabric
:I am a sucker for spirals. If I see a fabric with swirls, spirals, anything curvy-wurvy, I have to buy some. I applique swirls. I embroider swirls. I quilt with swirls. So you can see why I really needed this tool. I think the possibilities are endless.
And while I was checking out the other potential resist dyeing tools in the housewares section of Bloomingdales, I found this other whisk. Just imagine......

4 comments:

  1. I am in awe of what such a simple gadget can do. I love gadgets:-)
    Quiltgirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spirals are always intriguing to me, too, and I love what you did with your whisk. I keep seeing blog entires about soy wax batik. I think it's something I should try. It seems like you can get fabulous results with the simplest of tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the spiral wisk effects!! Thanks for talking about using soy resist, I think I am going to see where online I can order it, living in Kingman, AZ it is highly unlikely I can woak into a brick and mortar store and find one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After driving around like you did to find the whisk, you might as well have paid for shipping; sometimes it's actually more economical and ecological. They have those whisk on Amazon for $10 along with other sauce whisks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.