Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday's Wanderings #3 - Key West Southernmost Point


Week #3 was inspired by two of the most popular sites to see in Key West - the sunrise and the location of the southernmost point in the United States. (I took a little poetic license here, because the sunrise is not visible from the buoy.)



People start lining up in the morning to have their photo taken at this unique geographic location.  I am always amazed how polite and orderly we can be as a group of human beings.  Everyone takes a turn and usually the next person in line snaps the photo.


Even Bailey and I got into the  act.



And the sunrise here does not disappoint.

I spent a day using Lumiere paints to create the fabric for the sun rising over the ocean.  I played with both dry and wet white cotton fabric, first painting the sky and ocean, leaving space for the sun and it's reflection.

I let this dry and heat set it and added the yellow paint.

 I was not happy with the results.  The paint just bled into the other colors, even though I heat set it. (I later read that there is a resist that you can apply to the fabric to prevent bleeding.)

This led me to creating the sunrise and the ocean separately and then creating the sun as a fusible applique.

I didn't really want to spend the time to recreate the buoy.  My goal is to finish my block in a day.  So I went shopping and bought this cold drink can cozy.  It's foam rubber.


I cut out the buoy and whipstitiched it to the background.  Why not?


4 comments:

  1. Clever use of the drink can cozy. well donde.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another interesting piece, Cheryl! In the photo with you and your dog, that looks like a Chanukah menorah in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful piece from the buoy, love it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt, Cheryl!
    Lori Weiss

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.