Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wednesday's Wanderings #28 - Happy Birthday America!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!!

Freedom, apple pie, fireworks, the red white and blue.
I am proud to be an American.

Everyone loves fireworks, no matter where you live, whether you are 8 or 80.  My goal was to make something recognizable with fabric and thread.

This is the story of how I became the owner of hot fix Swarovski crystals and a heating tool to apply them.  I have seen these crystals on quilts of varying quality.  Several of these quilts were of award winning quality at some of the most prestigious quilt shows. 

 I just could not see myself gluing these crystals to my quilts.  Glue? I have no problem sewing on beads or sequins or buttons, but glue?  No, I don't think so.   But, never say never.  Some crystal bling is just what is needed.

   I was inspired for my WW by the fireworks to come, tonight.  I thought about how to achieve those flashes of light.  After quilting the background of the block by machine, I hand stitched the streams of light using a 12 wt rayon/metallic thread called Dazzle. 

It looked pretty good, but it did need a spark of bling!

These are 3mm hot fix Swarovski crystals. 
They are the smallest ones I could find in the local chain craft stores.
 I'm glad I had a coupon because they are very expensive.  This little bit cost almost $5.00.


The crystals have glue on the back that is activated when it is heated with this special tool.


I glued the crystals to the tail ends. You have to heat each one for 30 seconds.
 (I can't imagine applying hundreds of these to those award winning quilts.)


Just the right touch of bling.

 
Happy 4th!

3 comments:

  1. A very interesting post. My favorite quilts at a quilt show I attended this spring were those with bling. Now I know how they were applied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, just the right touch of bling. I made a fabric post card a few years ago of fireworks enhanced by crystals and I wanted to put it on my blog today. But I had sent it away as a thank you for a Fourth of July party I attended and didn't scan it into my photo stash. Shame on me! So I'm glad that I got to see yours. Happy Independence Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to add some sparkle to your quilt.
    I hope you and your family have a wonderful day today.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.