Friday, February 27, 2015

Plein Air Painting

There is a group of Plein Air (outdoors) painters here in Key West that meet once a week.  Each week it is a different location.  I have seen them on different street corners and have been curious.  I was excited and nervous at the same time when I was invited to join them.  I was told, just come and sketch. Since they mainly use different houses for their subject, I thought this might be great inspiration for a quilt.  I have a spot above my couch that has a couple of posters hanging there now and I would love to hang a quilt there.

When I arrived, they were spread out on the 4 corners of the intersection, choosing different points of view.


They all had these portable easels and other accessories.  Some of them used brushes.  Some of them used brushes.  Some of them used acrylic paint.  Some of them used oil.  I was there with my little sketch pad with a pencil and I sat on the curb! Intimidated? You betcha, but these ladies (and gentleman) could not have been nicer. 
Here is a sampling of thier works in progress. I am amazed by their talent.





Here are my sketches.  It's a beginning. 


I learned it's about perspective and observation and believe it or not, I found it to be very peaceful.  I got lost in thinking about what I was drawing and that erased all my worries about getting ready to leave in 3 days. I will look forward to joining them when I return next year.  There is certainly lot of room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.