Tuesday, July 12, 2016

You Asked For It

I have been sharing photos of my Mini Mosaics on social media a bunch recently as well as sharing my technique at guild workshops. Many of you who have seen photos have asked about the technique that I developed. Unfortunately, I could not share it at the time, because I was writing an article for Quilting Arts, an amazing magazine geared to art quilters.

Today, the issue with my article arrived on my doorstep. To say that I am over the moon is an understatement. My article begins on page 60. Woo Hoo!

 

This is the cover of the magazine. It details step by step how I create my quilts from lots and lots of tiny pieces of fabric. I think it's addictive and mesmerizing. Some of my students agree with me.

This is what it looks like when I am working on a piece. In the bottom left hand corner is a cutting guide that I devised to cut the pieces for the mosaic, en masse. I had a limited number of them made for me and they are available in my Etsy shop.

 

Here are a few of the other Mini Mosaics that I have created. I share lots of patterns during my classes.

 

And here's an Andy Warhol version of Bailey.

These all measure about 12" x 14".

This is the largest one I've made so far. It was one of my Winter projects in Key West. It measures about 3'x4' and is named "Keyfetti Fish". I did use Curvalicious to create the border.

Here's a close up. I have no idea how many squares of fabric I used or how many different fabrics. I'm sure one of you mathematicians or engineers could figure it out, but it might make me cry.

In addition to the excitement brought on by the publication of this article, my other big woo Hoo was that I was invited to teach on a quilting cruise in 2017. As soon as I can, I will share the details. Mini Mosaics will be one of three workshops that I teach. Of course, I felt I had to design some ocean themed projects. What do you think of the lighthouse? I just finished binding it today.

I am teaching it a couple of places in 2017, but would love to come and teach it to your group. The structure of my workshop is pretty unique. A kit is available and basically all the participants need to bring are tweezers and a sharp pair of scissors. Email me if you're interested: oyveyquilts@yahoo.com

Until then, check out my article in the August/September issue of Quilting Arts and give the fabric mosaics a try. It's fun for kids and grown ups and perfect for when you don't want to sit at your sewing machine. And if you want to be kept up to date about my mosaics as I create them and the upcoming cruise, you can follow me on Instagram @oyveyquilts or on Facebook @CherylLynchFiberArts.

 

6 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see your article in the new issue! I can't wait to give it a try!!! Meanwhile, I'm having fun with Curvalicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE those! I am definitely going out to pick up a copy of this magazine tomorrow. Congrats to you on the article and the cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running out to get that issue!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to go out and pick up a copy! Love mosaics! (and your lighthouse is perfect for a cruise!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I remember when you were in this magazine the first time. How exciting to share your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does look fun to do and I have a mosaic filter that i can convert a photo with.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.